Residents enjoy the homes, parks, schools and other services and amenities, while businesses appreciate the direct access to roadways such as Interstate 79, Route 50 and the future Southern Beltway.
South Fayette takes great pride in being A Community Growing Together. South Fayette’s population was 14,416 in the 2010 census—an increase of more than 48 percent since 1980.
On the business side, total assessed commercial value in South Fayette increased by more than 40 percent, or $63 million, from 2012 through 2014.Named in honor of General Lafayette of the American Revolution, the 21-square-mile township has a rich heritage and a bright future.
The South Fayette municipal building, 515 Millers Run Road, includes the township administrative offices, the police department, the library, and the senior center. The public works facility is located next door.
Residents and businesses in South Fayette Township use any of eight zip codes, as assigned by the U.S. Postal Service. Only the Cuddy, Morgan and Sturgeon post offices are located within the borders of South Fayette. Post office names and zip codes used in South Fayette include:
- Bridgeville 15017
- Cecil 15321
- Cuddy 15031
- McDonald 15057
- Morgan 15064
- Oakdale 15071
- Presto 15142
- Sturgeon 15082
175th Anniversary: 1842 - 2017
South Fayette Township, founded in 1842, celebrates its 175th anniversary in 2017.
South Fayette Township is named for Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette (1757-1834), a French general who served the United States in the American Revolution. General Lafayette is celebrated for his support of representative government and his contributions to the achievement of American independence.
The area that today is known as South Fayette Township originally was claimed by both Pennsylvania and Virginia. In 1788, the area became part of Moon Township, one of the seven townships in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Two years later, Fayette Township was carved out of Moon Township. Finally, in 1842, Fayette Township was divided into two municipalities--North Fayette Township and South Fayette Township.
The Historical Society of South Fayette Township works to preserve community history. Find more South Fayette history in the book "Images of America: South Fayette Township" (Arcadia Publishing, 2015).
A Township of the First Class
South Fayette Township, a local government, serves its citizens and taxpayers under the First Class Township Code. According to the Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors, townships are the oldest form of organized government in the United States, dating back to the 1600s. English settlers brought with them the concept of townships, which became the first political subdivisions in the New World, and William Penn began establishing townships in Pennsylvania as early as 1683. South Fayette Township was established March 16, 1842. In 1899, townships were designated as first or second class depending on population density. South Fayette had at least 300 people per square mile, so it was classified as first class and therefore received greater power to deal with growth and avoid annexation by neighboring townships.
South Fayette Township is home to a variety of businesses, including the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC South Center, which opened in 2014. The outpatient pediatric facility, as well as Newbury Market, The Crossings at South Fayette, Abele Business Park and other developments, have been launched thanks to easy access to the South Fayette/Bridgeville interchange of Interstate 79. Many of the township's small businesses, such as the historic Portman's Farm Market, are family-owned or independently operated.